I Thought You're Like.. 27

But I'm only 21! 

Okay I get it. I look "mature for my age". A more straight forward word would be old! I've been hearing the same shit since 1st grade! At 6, people thought I was 10. At 10, people thought I was 15. At 15, an older friend of my mom's shouted across a room full of friends and relatives, at the top of her lungs; "Are you married now? Do you have any kids?" Once, I even got mistaken as my dad's "wife" (aka my mom) when I accompanied him to my little sister's tennis tournament. How awkward was that? On a scale of 1-10 I'd give it a 1000. I wasn't sure which was more embarrassing; being called my dad's wife or my little sister's mom. But believe me as "matured" as I look, I'm still pretty much the starry-eyed, curious little girl inside, who just turned 12 and realized Barbies are for 4 year olds!

Apparently, 21 is the icing to your 'Yay I'm legal' cake. I can now head to clubs without being worried about not getting in. I'm no longer considered "amateur" at anything compared to when I turned 18. I can even adopt a child. I'm not saying I'm gonna do all that stuff but it feels great to have automatic-permission from good ol' society. Every year I make all these resolutions that I never follow. This year I made a resolution to not make a resolution. I will accept life as it is.  I only want to be healthy and happy as boring as that sounds. I guess as you get older, you just kinda learn to accept reality and not unrealistic bullcrap that you made up in your head, that would probably never happen (David Bowie making me breakfast, moving to Mordor.. ) I have such great family and friends, what more is there to life? Everything else is just extra cream to my coffee: I want it but I don't need it. I'm glad I've realized that at 21.

Thannk you thank you a million times to all my friends who gave me all the sweet gifts and countless number of cakes (I'm exaggerating, I got 3 cakes actually haha). Thank you for being so nice to me even when I'm a mega bitch sometimes. Thank you for remembering my b'day (co-credit to Facebook on this one), thank you for the surprises I did not see any of it coming. Thank you for all the hugs and kisses! Please know that I'm grateful! But most of all, thank you for being in my life. I will never forget the day I turned 21.

Late post. My b'day was 26th of June.

4 comments:

Shaha said...

ahh, looks like you're having so much fun! Enjoy being 21. (also forever 21 buddies! :D )

Rifga™ said...

thanks shaha. high-five to forever 21!

Miss Aqilah said...

awww love your post =) glad you had a great time.

Rifga™ said...

haha thank you kiki! :D